Monday, July 14, 2014

Chana Masala (Dairy, Gluten and MSG Free)

I have been craving Indian food and figured it was time I made a good dish of my own.   My sister was over this weekend and gave me a few suggestions as to what she puts in her curry dishes.  I am a big fan of chickpeas so I made mine into a chana masala.   I was able to alter one I have been working on and am very pleased with the results.  This recipe can definitely be adapted in terms of spices.  I would have preferred a little more heat but that would not have gone over well with the girls ;)  We have made this dish already a couple times and it has been enjoyed by all.
Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 2 cups water or coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup cashews
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 minced onion
  • 2 minced cloves garlic
  • 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon cumin 
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala (red dye free)
  • chili and/or cayenne pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 1 diced tomato
  • 1 cup chopped kale or spinach
  • 1 limed juiced
  • 1/4 cup cilantro

Directions
  1. Place cashews blender with coconut milk or water and puree until smooth.  Set aside
  2. In a large wok or frying pan heat oil.
  3. Fry onions until soft and add garlic, coriander, cumin, curry, garam masala, chili powder/cayenne and fry another minute to bring our flavours.
  4. Add tomato paste, sea salt, diced tomato, pureed cashews, chickpeas, diced tomato and kale/spinach.
  5. Cook until bubbling and then simmer for 5 minutes.  Stirring frequently.
  6. When ready to serve stir in lime juice and cilantro.



No comments:

Post a Comment